Revision as of 09:25, 28 April 2011 by Rwilson
The use of personal watercraft or PWC (Jet Skis, WaveRunners, Sea-Doos) is of concern to Surfrider Foundation members and other environmentalists due to the pollution, noise, and potential harm to people and wildlife that PWC can cause. Two articles detailing the problems caused by PWC and steps that can be taken to minimize their impact on the environment have appeared in Making Waves: Jetski Article #1 Jetski Article #2
In addition, Surfrider Foundation's Board of Directors has established a policy on PWC that would require the use of 4-stroke engines, restrict the use of PWC in sensitive ecological areas, support public education programs, and require licensing programs for PWC use.
Recommended actions for those concerned about the environmental effects of PWC include:
- Share information about the polluting nature of PWC with your friends.
- Support regulations that will force the PWC industry to produce clean engines.
- Become active in your community to reduce PWC impacts.
- Contact Bluewater Network (now part of Friends of the Earth) for additional information on PWC impacts and regulations.
- Become an advocate of responsible PWC use.